Are you happy? Most of us say we are, but are we? Is it hard to know just how happy we are in our busy lives?
This month Zoe Thompson of Phoenix Life Coaching has allowed me to steal her blog from the 20th of March which was International Day of Happiness.
Zoe will hopefully be featuring in another blog later in the year about goal setting, I have a few guests lined up for that one where we will be looking at Financial, emotional and physical goal setting.
“If you don’t know where you want to be how do you know what path to follow.” – Ben Mason about 5 minutes ago.
Hope you enjoy the thoughts on happiness below.
International Day of Happiness – Advancing the global happiness movement
Did you know that the 20th of March is International Day of Happiness? A day to ‘inspire, mobilise and advance the global happiness movement’
Why that day? To coincide with the March equinox, the moment when the plane of the earths equator passes through the centre of the suns disk. More commonly known as the beginning of spring. (The U.K. appears to have received the memo late this year!).
Where are you on the happiness scale? If you were to mark out of 10 (10 being high) what would you score yourself today?
Does today represent a typical day for you?
How often do you reflect and consider how happy you are and what you can do differently to increase your level of happiness?
There is only one person responsible for your happiness and that is you.
Others can influence it, but only for as long as you let them. They are certainly not responsible for it, that lies with you.
Being conscious of your own level of happiness daily is so important, yet so many people just go from day to day without giving it a second thought. When was the last time you gave it a moment of thought?
Is there such a thing as being too happy? I don’t think so! I think we all have some space to be a little happier.
So how do we make this happen?
- Be busy with things you are passionate about. Say ‘yes’ to things that will challenge and excite you. Say no to things that are not in alignment with your ethics, morals and values.
- Happiness comes from within don’t rely on external factors.
- Exercise and eat well. Don’t neglect this. It will impact your physical and mental wellbeing
- Sleep & rest is important, don’t take it for granted it will impact your mental and physical wellbeing.
- Be comfortable with the uncomfortable and step outside of your comfort zone
- Strive for progress. Work on your personal growth and if you don’t set personal goals make sure you are actively seeking opportunities.
- Don’t be a victim of storytelling. If you are bringing the past into the present be aware of how you are doing this. Remember and focus on the positive elements and leave the negative behind.
- Make a ‘Bucket list’ of things you want to do.
- Don’t wait to be happy. Don’t wait for a reason, don’t wait for a person or a holiday or a new job or any of these external factors. Be happy now!
- Be present. Enjoy the moments of life. Put down your phone, switch off those notifications, remember it with your minds eye rather than watch your most important moments through a phone screen.
- Express Gratitude every morning for the things in life you are grateful for. Show your appreciation to others. Don’t keep either quiet or to yourself.
- Find the positive in every situation, there is always a positive, even if the positive is that you have learnt something.
- Spend time with people who are different and not like you. Take time to get to know people who have a different upbringing, belief, culture, way of thinking.
- Help others, give back to your community and those around you. You will get as much back from this as you give, if not more.
- Be conscious of your emotions and behaviours. Are they of use to you? Do you need to let them go?
If you would like more advice and support on how to start thriving in life and being truly happy then why not join me at one of the Phoenix Wellbeing Webinars.
Alternatively, please email me on Zoe@phoenixlifecoach.co.uk to book in a no obligation free clarity call with me to discuss how Phoenix can support you.
I’d like to thank Zoe for the blog, Zoe is really well thought of and I’d have no problems in recommending her services.
In the crazy world we live in with so much to think about and so much going on around us we could all benefit from just stopping for a moment and doing some simple introspection.
As always If you would like to find out more about Life Insurance, Critical Illness cover, Income Protection or would like to understand your situation please feel free to give me a call or drop me an email.
0117 979 0118 – 07702 577 452
Futures Protected Ltd and Pink Home Loans are not responsible for the content of any third-party website.